Nam Jun Paik
One for Violin Solo, 1962
Interpreted by Benjamin del Castillo, Alejandro Figueredo Díaz-Perera, and Cara Megan Lewis and re-enacted by Yasmany Guerrero
“Please ask Ben Patterson how to destroy it.”
Franz Kafka 15-Minute Workout, 1904/2019
1. Wake Up.
2. Dress, urinate/defecate as needed, brush teeth.
3. Drink at least one cup of water.
4. Find your Place.
5. Fold the red towel in half or partially. Place the towel within three feet of the Wall.
6. Place the cushion on the towel.
7. Sit on the zafu facing the Wall with legs folded in front, one foot in front of the other. If this is uncomfortable, turn the cushion on its side and sit on it saddle-style, with your legs folded underneath you and your knees facing forward. If this is still too uncomfortable, move to a chair. Place the red towel on the seat before you sit down on the chair.
8. Straighten your Back so that you are settled and comfortable.
9. Set timer for 20 minutes.
10. Place your palms together and raise them to your chest. Take a deep breath.
11. Relax hands. Place them on your knees or in the mudra position (left fingers on top of right, with thumbs touching, centered below your belly button).
12. Breathe In knowing you are breathing in. Breathe Out knowing you are breathing out. Breathe normally and relaxed. Do not breathe deeply or differently. When thoughts come, acknowledge them but do not follow them. Thoughts are like clouds in the sky. Say to yourself “I am breathing in” as you breathe in,” and “I am breathing out” as you breathe out.
14. When buzzer goes off, close your hands and bring them to your chest. Take a deep breath.
15. Raise your hands above your head and reach toward the sky.
16. Let them fall.
17. Twist your torso to the left and then the right.
18. Bend down toward your right knee and then your left.
19. Stand up and shake out your legs.
20. Pick up cushion and towel. Put cushion away.
21. Go into the kitchen. Cook the oatmeal to your taste and make a coffee.
22. Eat breakfast and drink coffee.
23. Wash Your Dishes.
25. Drink at least one cup of water. Have a glass of water with you.
26. Consult the book, JP Muller’s My System, beginning page 82.
27. Follow the directions for the first 8 exercises.
28. Complete the exercises. Perform any of the variations of each exercise you would like.
29. Use the red towel to pat yourself dry, if needed.
30. Drink at least one cup of water.
31. Ready your embroidery supplies.
32. Embroider “Movement Is Life” on one end of the red towel.
33. Embroider “Save Your Progress!” on the other.
34. Take a bath (or shower) and use the red towel to dry yourself.
35. Consider Muller’s drying methods (beginning page 110) and rubbing exercises (beginning page 115), if you’d like.
36. Get dressed.
37. Place the embroidered towel on the Red Pile.